Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Inner Thoughts of a Tree

     At first look, it seems my life is so very simple, like my concerns are nil. But, its not always easy, being Green. Sure, it can be really quite luxourious at times. For example, I am blessed to have set roots in a nice, big park! us trees don't get to use those newfangled cellphones, so we communicate throught the wind, and from what I hear, trees like to reside in parks, first and foremost.  Why? It's all those positive vibes! Running, laughing, screaming-with-delight children surround me all day, everyday. So much joy is contained inside a park, that it just makes us trees grow taller. And when all the kids are in school, there's always the squatters or neo-hippies to keep me company, sitting under my branches, passing a smoking apple, and telling me the news in the human world. They also bring good vibes. And then, of course, there are those days where much more negative souls cross my path. OUCH!! I DON'T like being carved upon!! Finally, when you all go to bed, I get to watch the mysteries of the night unfold. I watch owls and mice move in the intricate dance that can only connect the hunter and its prey.

     Soon, the moon settles down back to sleep, and pure beauty awakens!  However, no matter what beauty I get to behold, dawn is ALWAYS the saddest part of the day. You see, I just can't ever seem to be quite tall enough when I find myself facing the day's birth.  Yupp. You heard me....I tower over every single one of you humans, and yet I am still not tall enough. Why? Oh, I'll tell you why. I am in love! In love with something so common, yet so impossibly unattainable! In love with that golden-rayed, hot Sun.

     Each and everyday, he rises, and as those magical new-day rays touch my dry bark, I imagine that they're all just there to carress me, and to tell me what a beautiful day it will be. Everyday, when I was a tiny sapling, I'd stare up, up forever into his shining face, being the best little tree I knew how to be in order to evoke some praise. As I grew, I found out that my imaginings of him shining upon me, telling me I was the best tree, were never, ever going to happen. Apparently, its because us trees are too lowly for the Sun to be paying Special attention to us.  I've been told that if I were to touch that fair-headed Sun, I'd instantly combust. But, by then, I had already decided that my combustion would result simply from too much pure ecstasy running through me, resulting in my worthwhile combustion.  So, everyday, I soak up all of the laughter and joyous sounds from my park. Everyday, I grow taller. Everyday, at around 4:00 p.m., when everything seems to hold that magical golden glow that only that delicious Sun can cause, I dream. Dream of that One Day, when  I have finally grown tall enough. That one day that he could never ignore me, because I, that nice old tree at DeLongpre Park, touched him just ever-so-slightly, and in that moment he knew. Knew as I exploded with all that heat and excitement, that I had always loved him, and had worked each day for that last touch of his sweet, gentle rays.

No comments:

Post a Comment